Some people kick around the idea of starting their own business for many years. Others fall into self-employment by necessity after a job loss or a life change.
Maybe you’re a Baby Boomer looking ahead to retirement, and you’re not quite ready to spend your days sitting on the sofa watching TV. Or you might be worried about job security… tired of the cubicle life… or maybe you’re just ready for a change.
Whether you’re a long-time dreamer, or you’re considering starting a business out of necessity, I have good news for you. Now is the time to ignore the naysayers, defy the conventional wisdom, and launch your own business. There has never been a better time than RIGHT NOW to take the leap.
- Low startup costs: It’s easier than ever to launch a business with minimal investment. You can put your unique skill set and knowledge to work and start an online business focused on information products – books, training materials, or a monetized blog, for example. Often all you need is a website and something to sell.
- Ease of self-publishing and creating information products: It used to be getting a book published was a long and difficult process. If you weren’t able to interest a traditional publisher, the other alternative would be to pay big bucks to a “vanity press” to immortalize your words in book form. But no more – it’s a whole new world out there! Nowadays there’s a multitude of ways to self-publish, and anyone with knowledge to share can create information products and get them out there in front of people who want them. Even better – the entire cycle of creating and distributing your product is under your control.
- Powerful online marketing: It’s super-easy now to find like-minded people locally, nationwide, or even internationally who share your interest and want to buy what you have to offer. You can leverage all sorts of internet vehicles such as Meetups, chat rooms, and websites to connect with your tribe. And because information products are delivered electronically, your potential customers can be anywhere in the world.
- Readily available help and information: Remember back in the Stone Age when “research” involved a trip to the library? Now all it takes is a few mouse clicks to access information and experts from around the world without even getting out of your pajamas. You can get online help with your website, marketing materials, and administrative tasks from virtual assistants and from online freelance resources like Fiverr, guru.com, and Craigslist. Or take advantage of one of the many offline programs offered by federal, state, and local governments to help fledgling entrepreneurs.
And if you need more persuading…
- Affordable health insurance is now available for individuals. Until recently, buying individual health insurance in the US was difficult and very expensive… assuming you could even buy it at all if you had a pre-existing condition. Thanks to the Affordable Care Act, access to affordable health insurance is no longer an excuse to keep working for someone else.
So what are you waiting for? There’s no time like the present to create your future.